Blizzard Jobs: Next-Gen MMO – Lead 3D Environment Artist, Architecture
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a Architecture Lead 3D Environment Artist to join the Next-Gen MMO team. The job opening is tagged as a critical position. Apply for this position here.
Lead 3D Environment Artist, Architecture – NextGen MMO
Blizzard Entertainment – Irvine, CA (Orange County, California Area)
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an individual to serve as lead 3D environment architectural artist for a team focused on next-generation massively multiplayer online (MMO) games. The ideal candidate has experience modeling and texturing assets for a diverse visual range of environments. A solid grasp of form, color, and light for both 2D and 3D art assets is essential. The lead environment artist must have experience leading a team and have a skill in another art task as well (illustration or concept drawing) and be well-versed in related tools — Maya, Photoshop, etc. The ideal candidate is able to foster a creative and energetic environment for a group of peers who are passionate about making great games. This candidate will help members of the architectural team to grow artistically, and will help maintain a high level of visual and technical quality for all architectural assets.
Desired Skills & Experience
- A minimum of 5 years experience in game development modeling and texturing environments using Maya and Photoshop (or equivalent 3D and 2D programs)
- Experience working with an art director in developing a unique and cohesive modeling and texturing style for environments
- Proven problem-solving / prototyping ability
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps
- An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regards to modeling
- Experience managing, scheduling, critiquing, and administering performance reviews for a team of artists
- Self-motivation, good communications skills, and a great team-player attitude
- A passion for video games
- Skill in one or more of the related creation tasks: illustration or concept drawing
- Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group
- Proven ability to mentor effectively
- Have shipped AAA PC or console titles in a similar position
- Strong foundation in the traditional arts, including but not limited to environmental and / or architectural illustration
Tomas Hernandez is owner of Blizzplanet.com since 2003. I post news about World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Hearthstone, Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, Blizzard Careers, and the Warcraft film.
Blizzplanet is a leading fansite covering news about upcoming Blizzard Entertainment licensed products. I also post previews and reviews. I have interviewed book writers and Blizzard game developers.
I was previously an employee of the OGaming Network (2003), and IncGamers (2008-2010). I was a guest newsposter for GosuGamers (World of Warcraft) a few years ago and for Diablofans.com (formerly Diablo3.com)
***Fans who would love to watch Blizzard-related panels and appreciate our efforts can support Blizzplanet’s patreon in a monthly-basis, or a one-time basis. Our staff are volunteer fans like you. Your donatives will help us travel to all the Blizzard events we attend year-round.