After the fiasco that StarCraft: Scavengers was, in my opinion, I was ready to step back from reviewing StarCraft: Soldiers — a 4-part mini-series.
The BlizzCon 2018 StarCraft II: What’s Next panel revealed plans for the new Co-op Commander Zeratul, and the progress on DeepMind AI.
Among the panelists were:
- Sean “Day” Plott
- Tim Morten (production director)
- Ryan Schutter (UI designer)
- Rob McNaughton (lead artist)
- Kevin Dong (co-op designer)
- Michael Scipione (game designer)
- Oriol Vynials (DeepMind senior staff research scientist)
Dark Horse Comics just unleashed the StarCraft: Soldiers (StarCraft Volume 2) paperback details and release date. It will ship on August 20, 2019 and pre-orders are open.
The new details reveal something I was not expecting. StarCraft: Soldiers is not an ongoing comics book series, as I previously posted and assumed. It is another 4-issue limited series. This paperback only collects issue #1-4.
StarCraft: Soldiers #1 will be released as a stand-alone digital download on January 23, 2019 (for Kindle PC and Mobile).
Jody Houser (Stranger Things, Star Wars) is joined by veteran animation and Blizzard Entertainment comics writer Andrew R. Robinson (Overwatch Anthology, World of Warcraft) as they co-plot StarCraft: Soldiers, with art by Miguel Sepulveda (Lone Wolf 2100, Green Lantern).
Newly graduated Lieutenant Shivani Singh wants to defend the Dominion on the front lines, but it will take more than good grades and confidence to survive on the edge of zerg space. After a routine patrol goes awry, Singh launches an investigation to root out threats to the fragile peace between the Dominion and the zerg Swarm.
Collects StarCraft Series 2, comics #1-#4.
StarCraft II 4.7.0 was deployed today with a 501.95MB file size download. In this patch, Zeratul has been added as the new Co-op Commander and Announcer. A few quality of life adjustments were made in Versus mode and the Editor. Multiple bug fixes across the board.
New Co-op Commander and Announcer: Zeratul.
- Collect Xel'Naga artifacts to power up your army.
- Customize your abilities to deal with any foe.
- Learn more in our blog.
New Weekly Mutations have been added.
- It is now easier to select an SCV that is currently constructing a building using mouse click selection.
- Added a button to the "Language and Region" panel of the Options menu that manually refreshes ping time to all game servers.
- This fuction is most useful immediately after a connection change such as a switching to a new ISP or moving your computer to a new location.
- Although StarCraft II automatically adjusts networks settings to provide the most responsive gameplay, this function will make these adjustments immediately, ensuring the lowest latency available to you.
- New sub field added: Parent Behavior Link.
- Located under Unit -> Addon On Units.
- Applies the specified behavior to its parent unit from the addon unit.
- Allows control over the parent unit based on the Addon's state.
- Added Height Range field to CActorQuad.
- Allows the quad to change its height based on the position of the player cursor.
- Raynor: Fixed an issue that allowed the Hyperion to still attack even when under the effect of the Moment of Silence Mutator.
- Kerrigan: Fixed a bug that caused the Pneumatized Carapace icon on Overlords and Overseers to appear inactive when it had already been researched.
- Swann: The Vespene Harvester can no longer be cast on enemy or neutral harvesters.
- Vorazun: Shadow Fury upgrade icon no longer displays the Protoss Ground Level 3 icon.
- Karax: Mind controlled Colossi will now properly attack after researching the Fire Beam ability.
- Alarak: Custom hotkeys are now retained for Protoss Weapon and Armor upgrades.
- Fenix: Fixed a typo in his level 11 upgrade on the Co-op Commander selection screen.
- Fixed an issue with the sound of Nux's normal attack.
- The Odin can no longer damage invulnerable Units and Structures with its splash damage.
- Units affected by the Polarity Mutator will no longer display an icon, even when they are inside a Bunker.
- Temple of the Past: Fixed several areas near ramps that units could become stuck in if they were unloaded by a transport.
- Automaton LE, Port Aleksander LE, Emerald City LE: Fixed an issue that caused several ramps and doodads to not display Creep spread.
- Port Aleksander LE: Fixed a bug that allowed players to build structures on a particular ramp.
- Emerald City LE: Unit outlines will now be displayed when units are positioned behind ramps.
- Fixed an issue that allowed players to build units in the second part of "Enemy Intelligence."
- Tal'darim Probes and Stalkers are now using the correct Tal'darim portraits in Legacy of the Void campaign.
- Instigators from the mission "Purification" are no longer missing their 2D portrait.
- Heart of the Swarm: The Mothership Core model is no longer a placeholder model if the Golden Age Protoss Mothership skin is equipped.
- Fixed an issue that caused Broodlings with the Simulant skin to produce overly large corpses.
- Roaches using the Simulant skin now have the Tunneling Claws upgrade indicator on Low settings.
- The Dark Shrine now has a research animation.
I have been an avid reader of all Blizzard properties that come to books and comics. I had a lot of expectations knowing that BlizzCon was in the horizon. In my opinion, Dark Horse Comics didn’t deliver a satisfactory story in StarCraft: Scavengers #1-4. I will explain in my review below.
Jody Houser is a known writer in DC Comics and Marvel Comics with Justice League of America: Road to Rebirth, Supergirl, Star Wars: Rogue One Adaptation, Amazing Spiderman: Renew Your Vows (2016-2018), and Spider-Girls under her portfolio… to name a few.
“After years of terrible warfare, a paper-thin ceasefire is all that stands between terrans and their erstwhile alien adversaries, the enigmatic protoss and the savage zerg. But peace can be a prison for those who wish to make their fortune in the Koprulu sector. All it takes is one ship, one daring crew… and everything could change.”
The latest StarCraft II Patch 4.6.2 introduces the BlizzCon 2018 cosmetic Classic skins for the SCV, Probe, and Drone.
Those who purchased the War Chest will receive 17 new portraits.
For those who purchase a BlizzCon ticket or a BlizzCon Virtual Ticket, the following items are now available in your Collection:
Those who have purchased a War Chest will receive the following 17 portraits:
- WCS 2018 Trophy
- The cooldown of the Stalker and Dark Templar’s Blink ability will no longer be paused when under the affects of Fungal Growth.
- Fixed an issue that caused Tal’darim buildings to appear as standard Protoss buildings during cutscenes.
- The Odin’s anti-air weapon no longer causes friendly fire.
- Fixed an issue that caused Joeyray’s Bar’s Command Card to become locked, preventing the recruitment of new Outlaws.
- Fenix: The hover-text for Probius no longer displays an internal string.
- Trophy Tops have been restored.
- Fixed an issue that caused the Map Preview to not appear consistently.
- Cradle of Death no longer appears twice on the Co-op Mission menu selection.
- A hallucination of a Disruptor using the Golden Age skin will no longer appear practically invisible.
The Classic StarCraft game has been updated to Patch 1.22.1 which updated the map pool, and ranked rewards.
In advance of New York Comic Con 2018 (Oct 4-7), Dark Horse Comics and Blizzard Entertainment just announced a new series titled StarCraft: Soldiers. The new ongoing StarCraft comics series will launch on January 23, 2019.
The exploration of the StarCraft universe continues to new frontiers! Following the success of StarCraft: Scavengers, Dark Horse and Blizzard Entertainment are excited to announce the next series in the StarCraft comics publishing line — StarCraft: Soldiers!
Writer Jody Houser (Stranger Things, Star Wars) joins Blizzard Entertainment writer Andrew R. Robinson (Overwatch Anthology) on this latest addition to the StarCraft expanded universe. Artist Miguel Sepulveda (Lone Wolf 2100: Chase the Setting Sun, Red Lanterns), colorist Michael Atiyeh (StarCraft: Scavengers, World of Tanks: Citadel), and letterer Steve Dutro (The Fifth Beatle: The Brian Epstein Story, Plants vs. Zombies) round out this star-studded creative team.
In StarCraft: Soldiers, recently graduated Lieutenant Shivani Singh is eager to defend the Dominion on the front lines. But after she’s posted on the faraway planet of Cavir, she realizes that it will take more than good grades and confidence to survive on the edge of zerg space.
StarCraft: Soldiers #1 goes on sale January 23, 2019, and is available for pre-order at your local comic shop.
The StarCraft: Scavengers TPB goes on sale February 19, 2019, and is available for pre-order on Amazon and Barnes & Noble, and at your local comic shop.
Praise for StarCraft: Scavengers:
“A tense, white-knuckle deep space thriller of the finest kind!”—Infinite Earths
“This is the perfect tie-in comic for a video game – something that doesn’t try to recreate the experience of the video game, but instead uses an existing world as a backdrop for an interesting story.”—ComicBook.com
“Good science fiction setting with well-rounded characters. A great glimpse into other parts of the StarCraft Universe.”—Major Spoilers
Source: Dark Horse
StarCraft II Patch 4.6.1 addresses Co-op and VS hotfixes (including Han & Horner, and Tychus), and adds a new commemorative bundle.
- A new commemorative bundle in honor of the Bain family is now available in the shop.
- Learn more at our blog.
- The Balance Testing Queue is now active.
- Each race is receiving significant balance changes.
- To learn more about the changes and the thinking behind them, please read our blog.
- Han and Horner
- The Trigger Override glow will now properly display after an Asteria Wraith has fired 10 attacks.
- Using Medivac Pickup to transport Tychus’ heroes affected by the Choker’s Tentacle Attack will now remove the stun effect.
- When attempting to cast Crooked Sam’s Demolition Charge on a unit that already has an active Demolition Charge, the error message “That unit is already affected” will appear instead of the generic “Error” message.
- The Moebius Restraint Matrix debuff Icon has been corrected.
- Fixed an issue that caused Battlecruisers to become stuck on the ground if Vega’s Dominate was cast quickly after Psi Projector.
- Shredder Grenade no longer damages units that are inside Bunkers or Transports.
- Armor and attack upgrades at the Engineering Bay will no longer revert to their default keybinding at level two and above.
- Lt. Layna Nikara can no longer heal units while they are being warped in.
- Para Site LE – Adjusted the amount of minerals at particular nodes at the player’s starting base to be consistent with other bases.
- Fracture LE – Fixed an issue that caused several line-of-sight blockers to also block the sight of air units.
- Cerulean Fall LE – Removed an invisible line of sight blocker outside of each player’s natural expansion.
- The Void Ray’s Prismatic Alignment tooltip now states that it slows down the Void Ray’s movement speed.
- Fixed an issue that caused players to be unable to target flying units over a Nexus while it was casting Recall.
StarCraft II Patch 4.6.0 is now available in LIVE realms introducing the new Co-op Commander and Announcer: Tychus. Along with him, you can recruit the Heaven’s Devils crew. Some are available right away. Others are unlocked at level 4 and above.
Tychus was announced at GamesCom 2018. Watch our video recording of the panel (Some portions in german or english language).
Patch Notes after the break.