Blizzard Careers: Classic Games Senior UI Designer
Blizzard Entertainment posted today a brand-new job opening requesting a Senior UI Designer to work in the Classic Games team.
The job description says this developer is going to work with the StarCraft II, Heroes of the Storm, StarCraft: Remastered and Warcraft III: Reforged teams.
We know that Heroes of the Storm adds new heroes every few months. So you could bet a Senior UI Designer is needed to design the UI buttons for each ability, talent, and other graphics. As well as the seasonal or special events which require their own UX design (User Experience design).
We know that StarCraft II adds new content in the shape of new Co-op Commanders, as well as the War Chest.
But… but… what exactly is a UI Designer needed for in the StarCraft: Remastered and Warcraft III: Reforged games? Hmm…
I think we have possibly found a hint that something is in the works for these two remastered games.
New Avatars? Maybe.
Missing Warcraft III: Reforged features coming soon? Very possible.
New War Chests for real-money? New DLCs? New Campaigns? New Expansions? Well, I’m exaggerating here. Or am I? You can’t deny you have an itch in the back of your mind now.
Senior UI Designer, Classic Games
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an experienced, creative, and artistically talented Senior User Interface designer to support development on StarCraft, StarCraft 2, Warcraft 3, and Heroes of the Storm. The UI Designer will work closely with the artists and designers to conceptualize and design user interfaces.
We are the custodians of some of Blizzard’s most epic experiences, games that have brought endless hours of replayability and enjoyment to players. Whether it’s battling the Zerg in the Koprulu sector, staking your claim on Azeroth, or conquering the Nexus, we’re continuing to push these giants to new heights, and we need champions to embark on this journey with us.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Provide UI and UX design support for StarCraft, StarCraft 2, WarCraft 3, and Heroes of the Storm.
- Design, prototype, and implement game and UI experiences that meet Blizzard’s demanding standards for quality.
- Visualize the content and functionality of in-game and out-of-game user interfaces.
- Create and maintain wireframes and user flows and coordinate with other team members to incorporate feedback and develop consensus.
- Collaborate with designers, artists, programmers, and sound engineers to ensure innovative, attractive, and functional user experiences are delivered.
- Act as a player advocate to ensure the highest level of usability, playability, and visual excitement.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working as a UI designer in gaming, or interaction design field
- Proven background in innovative and intuitive design with strong conceptual art skills
- Comprehensive knowledge of graphic layout
- Able to adapt as needed in support of multiple games
- Awareness of current trends in web and user interface design
- Deep understanding of UX principles
- Previous experience designing UI for games
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Unrelenting self-motivation and initiative
- Experience working with other user interface designers
- Proficient with Adobe Flash, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Proficiency using Microsoft Visio, or an equivalent wireframing application
- Experience designing applications for a global and multi-lingual user base
- Excellent grasp of typography and color theory
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- Only online submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog, or online album)
- Must be willing to complete a design test if required to do so
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences
Source: Blizzard Careers website